Tips to Make Your Move Easier:
- If you are relocating and using a moving company, be sure to show them everything to be moved. Get a written estimate before the move and make sure your movers are properly licensed.
- If you are moving on your own and using a rental truck, be sure to get a reservation prior to the move. Make sure you have the appropriate moving equipment such as a hand truck, rolling flatbed cart, etc. You will also need protection gear such as gloves and back supports.
- Use new, uniformly sized boxes which will maximize space and stack more efficiently.
- Begin with more boxes than you think you need. Most people under estimate their actual box needs.
- Use the appropriate special purpose boxes such as dish packs and wardrobe.
- Use small boxes for heavy items and larger ones for light things. Avoid packing fragile and heavy items together.
- Fill each box completely to prevent collapse.
- Use plenty of packing material to protect your possessions. Seal all boxes completely with strong packing tape.
- Number your boxes and mark contents and/or the room on side.
- Store only clean and dry things to prevent moth and mildew damage.
- When storing lawn and garden equipment, drain any fluids prior to storage in order to avoid corrosive damage.
- Cover mattresses and store them flat on level surfaces.
- Be careful not to store anything combustible (such as paint and chemicals).
Making the most of your Storage Space:
- Place frequently needed items near the door to make it easier for you to get to.
- You may want to create a diagram for where your boxes are to be placed.
- Leave a small space between every item for ventilation.
- Place heavy items on the bottom and light or odd-shaped items on top.
- Pack your boxes with the labels facing out for easy visibility.